Born Patrick Allan in Arbroath, Scotland, he first trained as a solicitor before becoming a prominent artist, based for a number of years in Italy. In 1843 he married Elizabeth Fraser and took her name to become the well known Patrick Allan-Fraser.
The couples whimsical and romantic renovation of the
existing tower house resulted in the magnificent baronial
castle we see today.
Inside and out, Patrick's artistic additions can be enjoyed.
From the characterful stone faces to the animals carved
into the walls.
We are proud and honoured to be restoring the castle to
how Patrick and his wife Elizabeth left it.
Sir Patrick Allan-Fraser
Blackcraig Castle is designated as a Class B listed building, and its walled garden A listed.
The original castle was a 16th century tower house and was the seat of the Barony of Balmachreuchie. The tower was extended and renovated in about 1856 by Patrick Alan Fraser, and a gatehouse was added. Although the extension blends in well, you can see the different stone work between the original tower and the 19th century modifications.
This report carried out RCAHM explains-
"Incorporated at the rear of Blackcraig Castle, a mansion of 1856, there are the remains of a substantial tower-house. It stands three storeys in height and has a stair-tower extruded on the NW; the masonry is of lime-mortared random rubble and is readily distinguished from its 19th-century ashlar superstructure. Blackcraig was probably the property of the Maxwells who were is possession of the barony of Ballmacreuchy by 1550"
The Prime Minister William Ewart Gladstone (pictured bottom right) frequented Blackcraig Castle with his wife Catherine (pictured above at Blackcraig) for country retreats with the Allan-Frasers .
Whilst out stalking, Gladstone found this stone seat (lower left) and had it carried back to the castle where it has remained ever since.
Copyright Blackcraig Castle . All rights reserved.